Feedjit Live Website Statistics
left lapel  
bow tie

Holabird Advocate

Providing all the news we see fit to print since 2002!

Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Publisher Takes a Break
It seems that Jerry Hinkle has been so busy with University and washing dishes at the Hut for the last couple weeks that he hasn't checked in at the Holabird Advocate. Not that much is going on other than the three papers that must be complete before May 1. Actually the Expository Writing paper is due on April 25.
Jerry went to the College Republican and Pro Life PETA cookout this evening. That stands for People Eating Tasty Animals, of course. He also bought a chocolate and peanut butter cupcake to celebrate his mother's birthday. Tomorrow it's back to the paper grind!
Busy Night For Pierre Fire Department
Our friends at the Dakota radio group report that Pierre Firefighters have had a busy overnight, responding to three separate calls starting late last night. Second Assistant Chief Doug Hinkle says several people called the local emergency dispatch number last night about the smell of smoke in northern parts of Pierre, especially around North Euclid Avenue. Department members responded around 10:00 p.m. and after not being able to find the source of the smoke in town, ventured farther out into the county. Hinkle says smoke odor was noted on Range Road and on 293rd Avenue. It was later determined the smoky smell was likely originating from controlled burns that had taken place yesterday in Sully County.
Around midnight, Hinkle says the department was summoned to a grass fire on Governor’s Drive between the Cultural Heritage Center and the Department of Health Building. A small fire burned a section of grass measuring about thirty feet square. Hinkle says the wind that was blowing last night helped keep the fire up against the roadway and prevented it from spreading farther into nearby dry grass.
Around 4:30 a.m. this morning, firefighters were called to the report of light smoke coming from the laundry room area at the Comfort Inn at 410 West Sioux Avenue. Hinkle says the smoke was enough to cause alarms to go off in the business and resulted in several guests having to leave their rooms and wait outside while the situation was assessed. Hinkle says the industrial dryers are used extensively and the dryer that had caused the smoke was found to have had a lint build up around the heating element. He says the laundry room was ventilated and guests were allowed back into the building. Firefighters were at the scene of the fire call until about 5:30 a.m. this morning.
North of 40:Packaging matters
by Red Green
Recently, I bought a cartridge for my printer. It came in a box mounted on a card and wrapped in plastic. When I took it apart, I found that the printer cartridge itself was actually quite small, but they made the packaging unnecessarily large to make it harder to steal and to make the customer feel better about the high price.
I pointed this out to my wife and mentioned how my weight gain over the years of our marriage should have the same effect: It made me seem more valuable and also made me harder for other women to steal.

Comments: Post a Comment

Home links to this post | Archives

Powered By Blogger TM
  right lapel
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Tell A Friend!
Type In Your Name:

Type In Your E-mail:

Your Friend's E-mail:

Your Comments:

Receive copy: 

Free Free For All
Links from Bravenet
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com
Free Vote Caster from Bravenet Free Vote Caster from
Free Web Journal from Bravenet Free Web Journal from Bravenet
Free Photo Albums from Bravenet Free Photo Albums from Bravenet
Listed on BlogShares