Feedjit Live Website Statistics
left lapel  
bow tie


Holabird Advocate

Providing all the news we see fit to print since 2002!


Friday, August 26, 2005
 
VOL. IV Issue 8S
EAFB Not Dead Yet
BRAC has voted 8-1 to keep South Dakota's Ellsworth Air Force Base open. The Pentagon had recommended in May that the base be closed. South Dakota's congressional delegation, Governor, and others from the state lobbied hard to get BRAC to reverse the Defense Department's recommendation. Officials had estimated closing EAFB would cost the Rapid City area 6800 jobs. The base is the state's second-largest employer. EAFB is home to part of the nation's B-1 bomber fleet. The Air Force had proposed putting all the B-1 bombers at Dyess Air Force Base in Texas.
No one person wants to take credit for this turn of events. Everyone concerned is calling it a "team effort". All of us here at the Holabird Advocate think that is because they don't want to be blamed if it all goes wrong. Still, it's nice to see what a little bipartisan effort can do. Of course, there are still a few channels to go through officially, but everyone is being cautiously optimistic about the future of EAFB.
Holabird Advocate "Must Read"
Usually, if there is something that all of us here at the Holabird Advocate feel that you "Must Read" we publish it ourselves. This time, we gotta give it up to our Publisher's publishing role model, Bernie Hunhoff. So go out and buy a copy of the September-October South Dakota Magazine, if you don't already have one. Then go right to page 87. At the lower right hand corner, you will find the poem, "Momentum" by Bruce Roseland of Seneca. Like most modern poems, there is little if any rhyming, but the poem tells a story that is true to life, and it also has a good message at the end. If you can't get South Dakota Magazine at your local newsstand, complain. Of course, if you subscribe, you won't ever have to deal with ignorant newsstand owners again. And at $19/year, what could be more affordable.
My "Journey of 1000 Miles"
by Jerry Hinkle
Holabird Advocate Publisher
I have walked a little more than 8 miles this week. I must say that there have been many good points about my walking time. I was taken by surprise when I felt the call to be my mother's walking "buddy", but it has been a real blessing. While walking down the road, I notice things that I never did before. Rabbits hopping in the pasture. Pheasants grousing by the fence line. The rooster pheasants are just getting their colored feathers. I also notice that there are a lot of grasshoppers along the road too. I could do without that, but that's how it is.
I was afraid that I might slow my mother down when I started, I'm sure she did too. She was always asking if I had enough and wanted to go back. I have been taking it slow, but there's no hurry I guess. I'm walking, not jogging. Yesterday we started walking a little further. The extra distance is uphill. It was hard, and I felt the devil himself egg me on to give up, yet I went the distance. Whenever I feel like I should give up, I look at the washboard pattern on the gravel road, and that reminds me of what, and who, I'm walking for.
The trip away isn't so bad, but the sun beating down on face during the return trip is another trial of the trail. I haven't had any aches or pain from walking either. I wonder if I'm doing it right. Oh well, just 992 miles to go.



Comments: Post a Comment

Home links to this post | Archives

Powered By Blogger TM
  right lapel
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Tell A Friend!
Type In Your Name:

Type In Your E-mail:

Your Friend's E-mail:

Your Comments:

Receive copy: 


Free Free For All
Links from Bravenet
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com
Free Vote Caster from Bravenet Free Vote Caster from
Bravenet
Free Web Journal from Bravenet Free Web Journal from Bravenet
Free Photo Albums from Bravenet Free Photo Albums from Bravenet
Listed on BlogShares