Feedjit Live Website Statistics
left lapel  
bow tie


Holabird Advocate

Providing all the news we see fit to print since 2002!


Saturday, January 12, 2002
 
VOL. I Issue 1F
SPECIAL FEATURE:THE LEGEND OF THE PONDEROSA
by Jerry Hinkle Special to The Holabird Advocate
Many may have wondered how I came upon the name "Ponderosa" for my home.If you think it has something to do with the TV show "Bonanza"you'd be on the right track,but not quite there.Many years ago my family and I went on a trip to Devils Tower.Somebody,I'm not sure who,poached a few pine cones. They had been in the pick-up for a while before my dad happenned upon them.He decided to plant the seeds from them and of that group only 1 tree sprouted.It was slow growing tree at that.When it finally took it's shape the bulls got out one night and rubbed all but about 3-4 branches off of this poor sapling.An uncle of mine suggested that he just put the tree out of it's misery.On this very rare occasion that i agrreed with him my dad said"Not on your life.If that tree can take all that much abuse and still stand,it can take anything".As the years went by,the pine tree grew.Right now it is the tallest tree in our front yard.A few years ago a visiting salesman said to me"That's a Ponderosa Pine.I didn't know they grew in this area".I relayed the story to him and anyone else who would listen since then about the "little pine tree".That Ponderosa Pine can teach us all a lesson.In order to survive in this country you have to be tough,you have to endure hardship.That's why I call this place,my home, the Ponderosa.Winters are hard,as are the summers.Tough times never last long,but if we are as tough as that tree we will last.It sounds corny I know,but my Grandad is 99 years old and he prefers the winters here to Arizona and California.He's a tough old boy.He doesn't give up easy.We should all do as well.Which brings me to the next feature story
EMORY HINKLE ON DEATH'S DOOR,DON'T BET ON IT
by Jerry Hinkle Special to The Holabird Advocate
Last spring we had a visit from the seed corn salesman,Jake Vilhauer.He was delivering our seed corn for the upcoming planting season,nothing special about that.Nothing special except that I was suppose to be waiting for him and instead I was watching television.By the time I noticed he was here and got my socks and shoes on(he was company after all)Grandad was already out there talking to him.Well,I showed Jake where we were putting the corn this year and as I unloaded the seed bags he asked"How old is your Grandpa" I said without a thought "Turning 99 in July".Jake grinned and said "Now,isn't that something".I then told him that I was starting a betting pool that he'd make it to 100.and that the maximum bet is $100.He replied to me"I doubt anyone would take that bet.How could you bet against anybody that can still get around as much as he does.With his sharp mind and all,he's gonna make it.Old boys like him built this country into what it is today".Jake was right and to this day he still is.Nobody,even with the current setbacks that he's had can even consider that he won't hit the century mark.I'm still taking bets for anyone foolish enough to bet against him.It's needless to tell you that nobody's making them.The odds are just too great.



Comments: Post a Comment

Home links to this post | Archives

Powered By Blogger TM
  right lapel
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Tell A Friend!
Type In Your Name:

Type In Your E-mail:

Your Friend's E-mail:

Your Comments:

Receive copy: 


Free Free For All
Links from Bravenet
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com
Free Vote Caster from Bravenet Free Vote Caster from
Bravenet
Free Web Journal from Bravenet Free Web Journal from Bravenet
Free Photo Albums from Bravenet Free Photo Albums from Bravenet
Listed on BlogShares