Feedjit Live Website Statistics
left lapel  
bow tie


Holabird Advocate

Providing all the news we see fit to print since 2002!


Tuesday, May 21, 2013
 


Hinkles Celebrate 69 Years!

With the Golden Anniversary of Harold and Mary Hinkle coming up, our Publisher missed a different special occasion for the Hinkle family, the 69th anniversary of his Uncle Don and Aunt LaRayne. The year was 1944. The American way of life was being threatened by a global conflict. A young South Dakota  couple were getting married at a military installation in the San Diego Area. The groom was a Marine, heading to the  Pacific Theatre of the war, believing only that God would keep him safe. Since their wedding day, Don and LaRayne have been through war and peace, sadness and joy, poverty and wealth, taking the bad along with the good for 69 years, one day at a time. Each time that they were separated, it was not by choice, for they always looked forward to returning each one to the other. There love has stood the test of time, even now in an era when everything including marriages are disposable. When they said "Til death do we part" they meant it. That is what it will take to end this, one of the great love stories of all time, at least in a little place called Holabird!

Ringing Golden Bells at the River

     After experiencing a certain level of pressure to find some way to celebrate the Golden Anniversary of his parents, Holabird Advocate Publisher, Jerry Hinkle spent much time in prayer looking for the answer. The answer came from his mother. Mary Hinkle told her oldest son that she and Harold Hinkle will be toasting to each other on the river, fishing with Ken and Joan Hansen. Joan served as Mary's Maid of Honor, so that is a nice touch. If they could get Maurice Ham over there to join them, that would be a real photo opportunity. We'll have more on this as events warrant.

The Cheese Stands Alone by Jerry Hinkle

     Yesterday when I clicked the "Publish" button yesterday, all I had planned for the next edition was to review the new Star Trek movie. I went, saw the movie, was overwhelmed in places, underwhelmed in others, and by the time it was over I was too keyed up to sleep, so I went to the Ramada to get online, relax a while and unwind. When I saw that I was tagged in a photo on Facebook, I was mildly curious. It was the photo that appears beside today's top story.
As I looked with wonder at the photograph, I remembered all kinds of things that I'd forgotten. I knew that Uncle Don's birthday was coming up, but forgot that his anniversary with Aunt LaRayne was just a few days before that on the calendar. At that moment knew that I had to move things around. It was not a milestone, and yet I felt compelled to celebrate 69 years, because you never know what will happen. And should they make it 70 years, I hope they feel like celebrating. I know the family will be.
     Then I remembered what my mother had said about her plans with my dad. It was great that they were able to arrange that weekend, and fishing together is really the most proper way to spend an anniversary for them. I know they'll enjoy themselves. The fact that it gets me off the hook as far as open house parties and card showers go is a bonus too!
Sometimes I wonder If I chose lifelong bachelorhood, or if it chose me. I remember Uncle Don telling the story of the time that he started dancing with Aunt LaRayne just as the band played "It had to be you". He knew that she was it for him. As for me, I've never really had a moment like that. I once told my dad that any woman who wanted to land me would have to really work at it. The thing was, no woman wanted to do that much work. Perhaps I didn't either. My only regret is that it took me so long to realize that it was OK to embrace lifelong bachelorhood. It works for me, just like being married works for Uncle Don and my Dad. When it stops working, then we'll see! Until then, God be with you and do the best you can!



Comments: Post a Comment

Home links to this post | Archives

Powered By Blogger TM
  right lapel
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Tell A Friend!
Type In Your Name:

Type In Your E-mail:

Your Friend's E-mail:

Your Comments:

Receive copy: 


Free Free For All
Links from Bravenet
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com
Free Vote Caster from Bravenet Free Vote Caster from
Bravenet
Free Web Journal from Bravenet Free Web Journal from Bravenet
Free Photo Albums from Bravenet Free Photo Albums from Bravenet
Listed on BlogShares