Feedjit Live Website Statistics
left lapel  
bow tie


Holabird Advocate

Providing all the news we see fit to print since 2002!


Thursday, April 25, 2013
 

                                    Brittany Hinkle Honored 

    Sometime yesterday our Publisher's niece, Brittany Hinkle became the first Hinkle to join the National Honors Society. While none of us here at the Holabird Advocate know the exact criteria for memberships in this Society, but we do know that she met or surpassed them, which really comes as no surprise to anyone who knows her. As you can see by the photos taken respectively by Kristi Hinkle and Mary Hinkle, she is both excited and proud to be a part of the group. All of us here at the Holabird Advocate are excited and proud as well! This is just the beginning!

Ringing the Golden Bells by Jerry Hinkle

     In a little under 2 months time, my parents, Harold and Mary Hinkle will have been married for 50 years. Such an achievement is rare, and getting more rare with the passing of every day. My mother once said, " Having a long marriage is easy. All you have to do is get married young and never get divorced." I laughed when she said it, but she was being very serious. The kind of commitment to Christian marriage that not only she, but my father as well, have demonstrated should be celebrated. The question is: How do we celebrate this kind of achievement?

In a perfect world, My family and I would throw the biggest, fanciest party that Hyde County ever saw. We'd get together in whatever venue could hold all of my parents' family, friends and neighbors, we'd have all the cake ice cream and punch that one could drink, and the very best of it too. Maybe a program in the middle with singing, dancing, poetry, some long boring speeches from anyone willing to say a few words, and top it off singing "put on your old grey bonnet". We'd display 50 years worth of photos, the proclamation from the governor making June 23, 2013 Harold and Mary Hinkle Day, and maybe even a power point set to music from the 60's. Of course this would give us all a chance to keep up with people we haven't seen in years and tell the old stories, and hear some more old stories, and have a good old grand big time for everyone!
     Yes, in a perfect world we could do that. But this is not a perfect world. June 23 is a Sunday, which would be almost nearly perfect for such an event, but weekends are my busy time at work. And such parties take planning preparation and work. Details like where to hold the event, who's gonna cook or cater, getting invitations ready and mailed, and figure out who to invite. I know, and you readers that know my mother know that if we did have a party the bulk of the work would be done by her, and that's not fair to her, because even though she wouldn't mind, and she would say so, I wouldn't feel right about it.
 Besides that, parties are a hassle. I found that out when we threw my parents a silver anniversary open house back in 1988. I had my grandmothers to help out. my brothers were both out of town at the time, so it was up to me to organize it. If I left things up to my brothers for the golden anniversary, my sisters in law would be doing the bulk of the work, and that, to me, would be asking too much, even though I know they'd do it and willingly so.
The best solution I could come up with is a card shower. There is no fuss and bother, no party to show up for, no need to dress fine in summertime. But the best part is that my parents would be so happy to get cars and letters from the people they love marking this occasion. If we do end up doing that, we may even put out their e-mail address for those who don't want to slip a stamp to an envelop (It IS the 21st century after all). We gotta get with the times. Of course my brothers may have something to say about this, so we'll see what we can come up with. It's just a shame to see a wonderful occasion such as this slip by without some sort of observation. God be with you and do the best you can!



Comments: Post a Comment

Home links to this post | Archives

Powered By Blogger TM
  right lapel
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Tell A Friend!
Type In Your Name:

Type In Your E-mail:

Your Friend's E-mail:

Your Comments:

Receive copy: 


Free Free For All
Links from Bravenet
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com
Free Vote Caster from Bravenet Free Vote Caster from
Bravenet
Free Web Journal from Bravenet Free Web Journal from Bravenet
Free Photo Albums from Bravenet Free Photo Albums from Bravenet
Listed on BlogShares