Holabird AdvocateProviding all the news we see fit to print since 2002!
Sunday, April 14, 2013
Fusion has Brunch of FunThe usual Fusion Outreach service of FUMC here in Mitchell was followed by a brunch consisting of scrambled eggs, pancakes. link sausage, hash brown potatoes and fruit in the East Main Dining Room at DWU. The tables were set with linen table clothes and matching napkin's. One wonders if the students eat like that all the time, but none of us here at the Holabird Advocate are curious enough to go up there and find out!
Male or Female Computer submitted by Ken and Joan HansenA SPANISH Teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike
English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.
'House' for instance, is feminine: 'la casa.'
'Pencil,' however, is masculine: 'el lapiz.'
A student asked, 'What gender is 'computer'?'
Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups,
male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether computer'
should be a masculine or a feminine noun. Each group was asked to give four
reasons for its recommendation.
The men's group decided that 'computer' should definitely be of the feminine
gender ('la computadora'), because:
1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;
2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is
incomprehensible to everyone else;
3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible
later retrieval; and
4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half
your paycheck on accessories for it.
(THIS GETS BETTER!)
The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be Masculine
('el computador'), because:
1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;
2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;
3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE
the problem; and
4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a
little longer, you could have gotten a better model.
The Women won.
Did you know? by Jerry Hinkle
Did you that the computer is acting up today? Did you know that the country roads on "The Walton's" and "The Dukes of Hazard" were on the same WB studio lot? Did you know that Hairball played the corn Palace last night? Did you Know that Clint Black is playing it tonight? Well, you do now. You may ask "who cares?" but you won't get an answer from me!
Comments: Post a Comment