Feedjit Live Website Statistics
left lapel  
bow tie


Holabird Advocate

Providing all the news we see fit to print since 2002!


Wednesday, December 05, 2012
 

Holabird Found on Facebook

     It started out as an ordinary at the home office, when all of the sudden, we were notified that Shannon Walls posted to our Facebook page. Shannon's son, Hunter Mees, helped bring about something wonderful into our lives about 7 years ago, just by getting cancer.
Hunter's story began with an article in the Wessington Springs newspaper. It was picked up by South Dakota Magazine, then we picked it up, and by the time we set it back down, people all over the state were talking about it, people were getting their hair cut, and giving money to the tune of $30,000.
     The world has changed a whole lot in those 7 years. Since then, blogging has given way to other social media, our Publisher picked up a BA degree, and Hunter is cancer free and playing high school basketball. Being a small part of the effort in Hunter's cure has become our most prized accomplishment. While some criticize the Internet, it can't be denied that had it not been created, Hunter's cure would have had to have come from somewhere else. Technology has it's place.
Our Publisher has a page on MySpace, Facebook, and Twitter. And yet Blogger is still his favorite form of media, social or otherwise. The Holabird Advocate  has a Facebook page as well, where people can go to get all the inside scoop on what we're up to.

When 1st and 2nd Amendments Collide by Jerry Hinkle

The recent flap over Bob Costas speaking his mind on guns last Sunday proves that both sides of the issue need to step back and look at the other side. After Costas made those remarks, a lot of people became offended, or at least claimed to be, and demanded that he be fired.
     In much the same way, when Hank Williams Jr. made some so called offensive remarks, not only were there calls to get him fired, but those calls were answered almost immediately after the fact. For now, it appears that Mr. Costas will keep his job. That's good, because it would be sad for anyone to lose their job at Christmastime! 
     I find it hard to believe that this country is so polarized that they throw a fit over anything that a sportscaster says. Then again whenever these kinds of issues get brought up, people get their undies in a bunch. As for me, I was not offended by any of Mr. Costas's remarks. He felt compelled to share them, I listened. even though i didn't quite agree with everything he said, I was never offended.
I believe in both the 1st and 2nd amendments. I feel free to speak my mind and deal with the results when it goes bad. That's what a blogger does. I have to speak my mind. When someone gets offended they stop reading, them I'm sunk! Still that is what makes America the best country in the world. We can disagree, but there is plenty of room for all opinions.
      I don't own a gun, and at present have no use for one. But I'm glad I live in a country where I can choose to get one if I so desire. Should I choose to, it is my responsibility to learn the proper way to handle a gun. As corny as it sounds, it's true that guns don't kill people. My dad has a 30-06. It has killed everything from rabbits, coyotes, raccoons, skunks and deer. never has it killed a person. The only way it could, is if someone who did not have my dad's moral compass and his careful aim was to use it. The gun didn't kill that football player's girlfriend. it was the football player himself. It's sad bit true! It's not a gun culture, it's a hate culture. You can take away the gun, but removing the hate is a whole heap harder! God be with you and do the best you can!



Comments:
I absolutely love your blog and find nearly all of
your post's to be exactly what I'm looking for.
can you offer guest writers to write content for you personally?

I wouldn't mind publishing a post or elaborating on most of the subjects you write with regards to here. Again, awesome site!
Feel free to visit my web blog ; moved here
 
Post a Comment

Home links to this post | Archives

Powered By Blogger TM
  right lapel
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Tell A Friend!
Type In Your Name:

Type In Your E-mail:

Your Friend's E-mail:

Your Comments:

Receive copy: 


Free Free For All
Links from Bravenet
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com
Free Vote Caster from Bravenet Free Vote Caster from
Bravenet
Free Web Journal from Bravenet Free Web Journal from Bravenet
Free Photo Albums from Bravenet Free Photo Albums from Bravenet
Listed on BlogShares