Feedjit Live Website Statistics
left lapel  
bow tie


Holabird Advocate

Providing all the news we see fit to print since 2002!


Tuesday, October 02, 2012
 
     Some time ago I was talking to some young people on Facebook about philosophy and I mentioned that the answer to everything was "42, but what is the question". One of the guys in this group replied "What is 6x9" Needless to say I laughed! Then he pointed out that according to "Base 13" that was the right answer. To which I said, "Unlucky for some".
     I had heard of "The Base Method" before. On "The Cosby Show" Vanessa tried to explain it to Dr. Huxtable, but he understood it about as well as I did, and still don't. My sister in law talked about "new math" at the Hyde County School. I asked if 2+2=5 still, and my niece Shelby, who was just starting school said "2+2 isn't 5!, and I thought it was the end of the discussion.
     Then I heard something about "order of operations"on Facebook. I actually had to Google that, but understood only some of what I had a vague recollection of in high school algebra. I'm glad to know that I'll never have to know that for any useful purpose I serve on Earth.
     Mathematics, to me, was always absolute. 2+2=4, not 5 as I tried to convince my Shelby pal. Bt what if there is a base method to make it 5 instead of 4. As for order of operations, I'll go from left to right like I always do! Math is the one subject I could always count on where there was only one right answer. It would appear I gave up academe at just the right time!



Comments:
You might try an atomic vector plotter suspended in a strong Brownian Motion producer (say a nice hot cup of tea.) It will sooth your math nerves.
 
I have no idea what you just said!
 
Post a Comment

Home links to this post | Archives

Powered By Blogger TM
  right lapel
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Tell A Friend!
Type In Your Name:

Type In Your E-mail:

Your Friend's E-mail:

Your Comments:

Receive copy: 


Free Free For All
Links from Bravenet
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com
Free Vote Caster from Bravenet Free Vote Caster from
Bravenet
Free Web Journal from Bravenet Free Web Journal from Bravenet
Free Photo Albums from Bravenet Free Photo Albums from Bravenet
Listed on BlogShares