Feedjit Live Website Statistics
left lapel  
bow tie


Holabird Advocate

Providing all the news we see fit to print since 2002!


Sunday, September 02, 2012
 
     When I was growing up, I thought I had it rough, and maybe I did. I must say that the older I get, the more I realize that my parents did a pretty good job with my brothers and me. One thing that they did that I am beginning to realize was awesome was how we always managed to take in the South Dakota State Fair. Since I have become a family of one 5 years ago, I've only managed to take in the Fair once. I can't imagine what it took to get myself, a spouse, and 3 kids there!
     As best as I can recall, we started out with Wednesday, Carnival day. Thursday was family day, and Friday was 4-H day. Saturday we went back home because the next day was the first day of Sunday School. Of course there was more to it than that! the Fair was such an amazing time and place. I met  Senator McGovern, Tom Dashcle, Tim Johnson, Steve Hemmingsen, Doug Lund, Dave Dedrick/Captain 11, Bernie Hunhoff, and several other lesser people for the first time at the South Dakota State Fair.  
     I learned a lot about how the world works at the fair as well. I remember once, when I lost 50 cents at a crooked carnival game. It taught me not to gamble any more than I was prepared to lose. After Dashcle became the Democrat leader in the Senate, and required Secret Service protection, I saw how isolated he became. Most people are intimidated by Senators and Governors, but not me. Senator Daschle's security detail was very intimidating to the point I decided not to do the usual handshake at the Fair after that. The Fair was a chance for me to get away by myself for a while.
     I hear people complain that the Fair is a waste for the state because it loses money every year, and it may be. but there are certainly worse places to waste state revenue. Some say it needs to be moved to Sioux Falls. I can't see people from Rapid City going to that Fair if they won't go to Huron, though. 
     The bottom line is that even though I'm not able to go to the Fair anymore, I hope it keeps going for as long as possible. My dad once told me that my mother wanted to pack up the family and go to Disneyland, and asked what my thoughts were. I told him that I'd rather go to the State Fair, and that I was afraid that disneyland would disappoint. It's true, that's how I feel! I hope I'm not the only one who loves the State Fair. I love it, and I miss it! 



Comments: Post a Comment

Home links to this post | Archives

Powered By Blogger TM
  right lapel
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Tell A Friend!
Type In Your Name:

Type In Your E-mail:

Your Friend's E-mail:

Your Comments:

Receive copy: 


Free Free For All
Links from Bravenet
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com
Free Vote Caster from Bravenet Free Vote Caster from
Bravenet
Free Web Journal from Bravenet Free Web Journal from Bravenet
Free Photo Albums from Bravenet Free Photo Albums from Bravenet
Listed on BlogShares