Feedjit Live Website Statistics
left lapel  
bow tie


Holabird Advocate

Providing all the news we see fit to print since 2002!


Friday, December 02, 2011
 
     Grandma's pretty much rock! We only get one mother, but God gives us two Grandmothers. A spare in case we lose one I guess. Well I lost both of mine, so I'm pretty much screwed. In fact I lost my Grandma Bergit nearly 17 years ago, much too soon. As painful as that was I still had Grandma Agnes! So I've been coasting since December of 1994.




     In February of this year, I lost Grandma Agnes. As hard as it was to lose her, a lot a changes that I started making in my life made it necessary to grieve by myself. Like the first time, this death took me by surprise. I mean Grandma had a broken leg! People don't die from that! I guess they do!



     To me, and I reckon a lot of other people that knew her well, Grandma Agnes WAS Christmas! When I was growing up, not going to Christmas Eve at Grandma's house was unthinkable. It was as much a part of the celebration as singing "Away in a Manger" or "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing"! And Grandma threw her heart into Christmas! She celebrated all of the holidays, but Christmas was all hers!



     I went back "Home" earlier this week. It was a little shocking to see Grandma's wise men on my mother's counter, but If someone else had to display it, I'm glad those 3 kings were kept in the family! I hope that all of the uncles, aunts and cousins have part of Grandma's Christmas treasury! I'm sure her lose is just as keenly felt by each of them as well! On a trip to Pierre gave the chance to hear the Capitol City Carolers. When they sang "Up on the Housetop", it was hard to sing along. That song was ALWAYS in the Christmas mix at Grandma's! I've sung that song for nearly 40 years by heart, but my voice faltered as it dawned on me that Grandma was gone and she wasn't coming back!



     The next day, my mother got a package in the mail. It was a Christmas Tree ornament, an angel with Grandma's name engraved on it. The irony hit me. Grandma truly was a Christmas Angel! Her family might not gather at her earthly home to celebrate the holiday, but she will be with all of us. As we use this Advent season to prepare for Christmas, she is looking down and smiling on each of her friends, neighbors and family members.



     Losing Grandma has been a mixed blessing, especially as Dec. 25 looms ever closer. But just like Christmas snow, she will never go away completely. As the original Christmas Angel in Luke's Gospel tells us, "Don't be afraid, for I have good news of great joy" If it were possible I'm sure that is just what Grandma would say to me and everyone else who is missing her at this time!




Comments: Post a Comment

Home links to this post | Archives

Powered By Blogger TM
  right lapel
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Tell A Friend!
Type In Your Name:

Type In Your E-mail:

Your Friend's E-mail:

Your Comments:

Receive copy: 


Free Free For All
Links from Bravenet
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com
Free Vote Caster from Bravenet Free Vote Caster from
Bravenet
Free Web Journal from Bravenet Free Web Journal from Bravenet
Free Photo Albums from Bravenet Free Photo Albums from Bravenet
Listed on BlogShares