Feedjit Live Website Statistics
left lapel  
bow tie


Holabird Advocate

Providing all the news we see fit to print since 2002!


Monday, July 19, 2010
 
I turned 43 yesterday, Other than the fact it was my birthday, it was really rather like any other day. My usual routine wasn't interrupted, with the exception that I took a nap before going to Taco John's for Softshell Sunday.
I recalled a previous birthday 31 years ago. My family was vacationing in the Black Hills and we stopped in Custer to see the Grables on the day before my big day. Back then, when someone on my mothers side of the family had a birthday the extended family would gather for the occasion. Naturally, I wanted to get home for that. Long story short, we ended up staying overnight, and when we finally did get home everyone in the family had other plans on my birthday. Imagine that! I was quite upset, and I made sure everyone around me knew that. My dad told me something that has stuck with me since the evening of July 18, 1979. "The world does not revolve around you! It's about time you learned that!"
It was a hard thing to hear, and perhaps not the best time to learn that lesson. As hard as it was to learn I think we all need to learn to be a little less self -centered. Through the clear vision of hindsight, I saw that I could have enjoyed being in Custer, but I was in too big of a hurry to get home. Once home, I came face to face with disappointment. Things don't always go our way. Life is not fair. We can either let it get us down or shake it off.
Yesterday was just another Sunday to me. I was all alone on my birthday. Sure there were people all around me at church, at work, and at Taco John's. But nobody went out of their way to do something for me. I'd have been very upset about that 31 years ago. But now, it's OK. Maybe I'm just used to disappointment, or maybe it just takes less to satisfy me. I had just as much fun as I would have if the Ditty Bops had met me at the Depot.
Things could have been worse. I managed to get all the paperwork together to get my driver's license renewed for another lustrum. I still don't understand why we gotta do it, but the fact that I got it done should count for something. All things considered, it could have been worse. I see that the Senator parachuted out of an airplane on his birthday today. I'd rather hunt up paperwork! Truth be told, if I had done that sooner there wouldn't have been such a rush. I guess it's like they say, "Too soon old and too late smart!"



Comments: Post a Comment

Home links to this post | Archives

Powered By Blogger TM
  right lapel
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Tell A Friend!
Type In Your Name:

Type In Your E-mail:

Your Friend's E-mail:

Your Comments:

Receive copy: 


Free Free For All
Links from Bravenet
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com
Free Vote Caster from Bravenet Free Vote Caster from
Bravenet
Free Web Journal from Bravenet Free Web Journal from Bravenet
Free Photo Albums from Bravenet Free Photo Albums from Bravenet
Listed on BlogShares