Feedjit Live Website Statistics
left lapel  
bow tie


Holabird Advocate

Providing all the news we see fit to print since 2002!


Tuesday, June 22, 2010
 
I was thinking ARBY's this morning, but once there, discovered that, unlike Hardee's there is no breakfast menu. They don't even open until 10:30. I thought of going to Hardee's but decided I'd rather go to McDonald's. I ordered a Sausage, Egg, and Cheese McGriddles and a Caramel Frappe, collected my order, and proceeded to find a seat in the dining area. I noticed a young lady sitting among all of these middle aged men as they discussed the issues of the day. She was listening attentively to the discussion. I saw a KSFY station wagon earlier, so I thought perhaps she was a reporter of some kind. When she did speak, even though I couldn't see her face, I knew in an instant who she was when she said "Had I been in Congress then I'd have voted 'No' on that bill." That young lady was Kristi Noem.
This group of men was nothing special, there are groups of them in every small town cafe in South Dakota. Baxter Black calls is "coffee shop communion" Retired farmers gather and discuss politics, history, the price of tea in China, and anything else they care to talk about. What Ms. Noem was doing there is easy to see, she wants to hear what the possible voters have to say. Each of those men are very likely to vote. They may vote for her, or they may not, but they will vote unless death or taxes prevent that from happening.
It was a well balanced group of men. I never took a count but there were at least 5 of them. I I remember 2 Republicans, 2 Democrats, and this guy that was easily the oldest man on the panel who was literally in the middle of the discussion. Things got heated at times, but always respectful. They ripped on Obama, W, and even Bill Clinton took some lumps, but they never got personal with each other. A sign of true wisdom indeed. One guy said he thought the media was trying to tear down America's confidence in the President, another said the President was a Muslim fundamentalist that was trying to turn America into a Third World country. Neither one could convince the other that his viewpoint was right, but they sure gave it a try. The best part is, they didn't let their difference of opinion mar the free exchange of thoughts and ideals. This is what the First Amendment.
After Ms. Noem left, the discussion kept going. The first thing they all wanted to know was if any of the others were going to give her any money. There was also speculation on when or if Stephanie Herseth-Sandlin was going to show up and if she would be driving a Caddilac if in fact she did show up.
One of the group was disappointed that his question wasn't answered, that being "What is it going to take to get us out of this mess?" At that time, I spoke up, "$14 trillion for a start". They asked me what my impression was, i said I'd have to study on this further.I also told the group that I was glad I didn't Go to Hardee's for breakfast. My one big regret was that I had left both JTV and my soundbiter in the car. I plan on going back tomorrow, just to see if anything happens worth writing about.



Comments: Post a Comment

Home links to this post | Archives

Powered By Blogger TM
  right lapel
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Tell A Friend!
Type In Your Name:

Type In Your E-mail:

Your Friend's E-mail:

Your Comments:

Receive copy: 


Free Free For All
Links from Bravenet
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com
Free Vote Caster from Bravenet Free Vote Caster from
Bravenet
Free Web Journal from Bravenet Free Web Journal from Bravenet
Free Photo Albums from Bravenet Free Photo Albums from Bravenet
Listed on BlogShares