Feedjit Live Website Statistics
left lapel  
bow tie

Holabird Advocate

Providing all the news we see fit to print since 2002!

Monday, August 20, 2007
Marion "Uncle MT" Maginnis Dies at 91

This afternoon, The Hinkle family discovered that Marion Maginnis died peacefully in his sleep last Saturday morning at the age of 91. He was the younger brother of Bergit Hinkle. Uncle MT, as Harold Hinkle referred to him, was part of the World War II Generation, Serving in a Naval Submarine. Even though, he never saw Paris, it was hard to keep him down on the farm. We are awaiting his official obituary for future publication. It should be noted that Marion is currently the only one in the Maginnis family to live past 90. His baby sister, Ina Mae, is just a kid of 82. He had a full life with his share of troubles. They are over now. May that be said someday of all of us!

Jerry Hinkle Has The Throne

Agnes Hahn has let it be known that she is giving the easy chair that used to be that of her husband, Bud Hahn, to her grandson, Jerry Hinkle. It is her intention to get a smaller chair. Jerry is thrilled that he will get to sit in his grandfather's old chair whenever he wants, but is not sure he has earned the right to do so. After all, he doesn't want his aunts, uncles and cousins to think that Agnes is playing favorites. Jerry has a solution. He has decided that whenever any of his relatives comes over to visit, they will be allowed to sit in the chair while he waits on them hand an foot. What happens if they all show up at once? All of us here at the Holabird Advocate wonder who is going to be first. We'd like a photo of that when it happens!
Mystery Weekend
by Mary Hinkle
Special Travel Corespondent
Edited slightly by the Publisher
Harold & I returned from our mystery Weekend last night about 10:30 PM. We left Sat morning at 8:30 AM from the Senior Center in Pierre. There were 36 of us on a Foreman bus. We went to the Triangle Bed and Breakfast south west of Philip for lunch. We had roast beef sandwiches, potato salad, watermelon and rhubarb or apple crunch for dessert. They have a house that the owners great grandparents bought out of the Sears Catalog. It was called "The Alhambra" and is a stucco house in the southwest design. It was ordered in 1917; but didn't get it put together until 1921. It is on the ranch out in the middle of a huge prairie. They made it into a bed and breakfast by the granddaughter and her husband. It is a very old ranch with a cinder block barn and many other old buildings and corrals. They also raise registered black Angus cattle. From there we went through Custer State Park to the Black Hills Playhouse and saw the matinee, "Moon over Buffalo," a comedy. It was well done and very entertaining. We went on the the Prairie Berry, a winery in Hill City, for some wine tasting and shopping at the Mistletoe Ranch, a Christmas shop. On to the Black Forest Inn for some dinner of shredded beef, baked potato, beans, cooked onions, and cole slaw on a tin plate and lemonade out of a tin cup. It was a real chuck wagon supper. We stayed there overnight in our king sized bed. It was a very nice bed and breakfast with huge rooms and and blueberry pancakes, bacon, fruit, and orange juice for breakfast. After breakfast we went to Hill City for a ride on the 1880 Train to Keystone and on to Mount Rushmore and had lunch their on our own. Next we went to the Stav Church, an exact replica of the church in Norway. They told us the history of the Church and the sod roofed house that is used to store things in Norway. She said they put their daughters in their to keep them away from their suitors; but that is not what they told us in Norway. She said there were many stories of why the daughters stayed in the building. From there we went to Wall Drug and had our supper there on our own. Then it was on the road again to go home. In Pierre we visited with Doug before driving home. We had a great time and renewed acquaintances from last year.
A Legend Dies: 30 Years Later

by Jerry Hinkle

courageous dynamic Publisher

of the Holabird Advocate

We've all heard ad nausea um about the thirtieth anniversary of the death of Elvis. At least I have. I'm starting to wonder if it was too much. Elvis did everything in a big way. It's been said that he made more money after his death then he ever did while he was alive. And even now, people refuse to believe he "Has left the building". When I think of Elvis, I prefer to remember his birthday. That is odd, as I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard he had died. I wasn't even a fan back then. A lot of people tell me I look like Elvis (just before he died). Like Elvis, I am human. We've both made mistakes. We've both hurt people, even without intending to. I used to refer to death as "Shaking hands with Elvis". A lot has been made of his drug use, which I believe was hyped. They also talk about his weight, but he was only 238 lbs. at the time of his death. He was called "the King" a name that he disliked, but he wore it, never losing sight of the King of Kings. We should all do so well. Remember that Elvis was a king, but his twin brother Jesse was laid in a poor boy's grave. Right now they are equal.

Comments: Post a Comment

Home links to this post | Archives

Powered By Blogger TM
  right lapel
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Tell A Friend!
Type In Your Name:

Type In Your E-mail:

Your Friend's E-mail:

Your Comments:

Receive copy: 

Free Free For All
Links from Bravenet
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com
Free Vote Caster from Bravenet Free Vote Caster from
Free Web Journal from Bravenet Free Web Journal from Bravenet
Free Photo Albums from Bravenet Free Photo Albums from Bravenet
Listed on BlogShares