Feedjit Live Website Statistics
left lapel  
bow tie


Holabird Advocate

Providing all the news we see fit to print since 2002!


Wednesday, September 11, 2002
 
VOL. I Issue 9F
AMERICA REMEMBERS SEPT. 11TH
WHETHER THEY WANT TO OR NOT
It has been a year now since that morning when the unspeakable happenned. A lot of things have taken place in that year. Television coverage on the broadcast networks are running from 7am-midnight. some will watch it all, or try to. Others will want to watch nothing. Here at the Holabird Advocate, the TV is on but nobody is really watching. we are putting this edition of the newsblog together. After that who knows what we'll do.
SEPT. 11, 2001-WHERE I WAS
by Jerry Hinkle, Special to
the Holabird Advocate
September 11, 2001 started out as just another day for me, the same as it did for you, the Reader, and for a lot of other folks, I suppose. I got up at around 8am like i always did, and still do. I saw on TV the image of the 1st WTC after a plane crashed into it. Bryant "B.G." Gumbel was interviewing a witness to the crash. I thought, "Oh my, isn't that amusing. Some drunk pilot tried to fly through the WTC. Must've been flying pretty low." I went about my task of securing a bowl of Cherios for my usual morning ritual. My family and I were discussing the order of the day. There was the Funeral for Richard Raske that my parents were going and taking Grandad to. I elected to stay home and catch up on some Market America paperwork. Just seconds later my mother said "The other tower's been hit!". B.G.'s witness said the same thing at the same time. The witness said that the second hit was deliberate. B.G. asked the stupidest question you could think of "How do you know?" . It was at that moment I knew B.G. lost all of journalistic credibility he ever had or ever will have.
Minutes later the Pentagon was hit. I thought "NO!!! not the Pentagon. THE PENTAGON!!!!! It's the end of the world as we know it". Watching the Pentagon smoking just as the WTC was, I said "Lord, have mercy on us!". I say the phrase "Have mercy" a lot. I never really meant it until that day. I felt a rush of peace,as if my prayers were being answered right there. I knew, I just knew that God was in control and that everything would be all right in his time
I was visited by a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses. We all agreed that this mess would be straightened out by God. It was they who told me that we should pray for the terrorists. that they may be turned around right. It was a tall order but I did it and do still. I hope that you all do the same. I later saw that the American spirit was shown by the brave passengers in United flight #93 as they fought back to stop another attack on what was later revealed on the Capitol Building. These passengers called their families to say that they loved them.
WHAT A DIFFERENCE A YEAR MAKES
by Jerry Hinkle, Special to the
Holabird Advocate
As I said earlier, a lot has taken place in this year since the attacks on this country. The Red Cross called for blood and minutes later they were turning people away all over America. Several Americans were diverted to Canada for three days. The love showed them by the Canadian people was so great, that some of those stranded there came back with their families for another visit.
A lot of songs and poems have been written about the events of one year ago. None of them move me as much as "America the Beautiful" which when I hear about the "Heroes proved in liberating strife" I always think of Flight #93 as they sacrificed their own lives for their country. Of all the patriotic songs we have Broadway closed their shows with "God Bless America". Even songs like "How Firm a Foundation" and "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" have given me a measure of comfort.
A few of people proposed marriage because of the events of this day. Others decided to have children. I can do neither since the only woman that I'll ever love is married to someone else. In fact it was 2 months ago today that I found that out. Perhaps I was an indirect victum of the terrorism. It matters little now.I and the rest of the country must move forward, and we shall. You know on Sept 11 last year, My Grandad was as strong as an ox. Since then he's had broken ribs, pneumonia, he's been dehydrated and had pneumonia again. Grandad came back as strong as on ox. This country that he loves did the same, and so will I.
POETRY CORNER

AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL
by Katherine Lee Bates
O beautiful for spacious skies
for amber waves of grain
for purple mountain majesties
above the fruited plain
America! America! God shed his grace on thee
and crown thy good
with brother hood
from sea to shining sea!
O beautiful for heroes proved
in liberating strife
who more than self their country loved
and mercy more than life!
America! America! May God thy gold refine
till all success
be nobleness
and every gain devine!
O beautiful for patriot dream
thgat sees beyond the years
thine alabaster cities gleam
undimmed by human tears!
America! America! God Mend thine every flaw
confirm thy soul
in self control
thy liberty in law!
HOW FIRM A FOUNDATION
by" K"
How firm a foundation ye saints of the Lord
is laid for your faith in his excellent word!
What more can he say than to you he hath said
to you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?
"Fear not I am with thee, O be not dismayed
for I am thy God and will still give thee aid
I'll strenghten and help thee, and cause thee to stand
upheld by my rightous, omnipotent hand.
"The soul that on Jesus still leans for repose
I will not, I will not desert to it's foes
that soul, though all hell shall endeavor to shake
I'll never, no, never, no, never forsake."
A MIGHTY FORTRESS IS OUR GOD
by Martin Luther
A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing
our helper he amid the flood of mortal ills prevailing.
for still our ancient foe doth seek to work us us woe
his craft and power are great, and armed with cruel hate
on earth is not his equal
And though this world, with devils filled, should threaten to undo us
we will not fear, for God hath willed his truth to triumph though us
The Prince of Darkness grim, we tremble not for him
his rage we can endure, for lo, his doom is sure
one little word shall fell him.
That word above all earthly powers, no thanks to them, abideth
the Spirit and the gifts are ours, thru him who with us sideth.
Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also
the body they may kill
God's truth abideth still
his kingdom is forever.
FINAL THOUGHTS
by the Publisher
That is just about all I have to say about Sept. 11. I hope that you the Reader come away from the Newsblog thinking it was time well spent. we have a great country. The American flag at the Ponderosa flew at half staff until noon. They've been pretty lax about flying the flag lately, but a special effort was made today, even if Harold Hinkle didn't know why. As for you, dear Readers, observe this day as you want. It's the American way! I'll close with this: I don't think of Sept 11 as the end of the world as we know it. I think of it as the end of the would as we knew it. The world we know now isn't so bad.



Comments: Post a Comment

Home links to this post | Archives

Powered By Blogger TM
  right lapel
Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com Free Guestmap from Bravenet.com

Tell A Friend!
Type In Your Name:

Type In Your E-mail:

Your Friend's E-mail:

Your Comments:

Receive copy: 


Free Free For All
Links from Bravenet
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com
Free Vote Caster from Bravenet Free Vote Caster from
Bravenet
Free Web Journal from Bravenet Free Web Journal from Bravenet
Free Photo Albums from Bravenet Free Photo Albums from Bravenet
Listed on BlogShares